The following motion submitted to Parliament by DA MP Terri Stander is adopted by the National Assembly:
I hereby move, on behalf of the Democratic Alliance, that this House;
- Notes that South African Emlyn Culverwell and his fiancé sit jailed in Abu Dhabi for transgressing an United Arab Emirates’ morality law: being pregnant without a marriage certificate;
- Also notes that despite the UAE being a signatory to the treaty on International Human Rights Law, hundreds of women are arrested in the UAE every year for sex without a marriage certificate – whether consensual or rape;
- Further notes that tomorrow is International Women’s Day; and that many countries still impose archaic laws that oppress women, and violate their international human rights.
- Call on the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, the South African Embassy and Consulate to answer the call of a desperate mother and do whatever possible to ensure the safety, and release of this couple;
- Condemn this practice in support of International Human Rights and our very own Bill of Rights as contained in our Constitution
- Convey our support to Mr. Culverwell’s family during this terrible ordeal.