KETEX is a Non-Profit Organization (NPO) which was fromed in 2008 by Xolani Hlitana. It started by helping two young people and grew from there to a fully fleshed and registered organization with about 80 teens and adults AND 15 HIV positive orphans who are housed in one of the premises KETEX secured in Alexandra.
Our Motto: Turning dreams into reality
- Workshops: exam preparation, life skills, CV writing, interview prep skills
- Bursaries and career expos
- Debates and Poetry
- Job creation PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
- Healthy eating
- Men’s Club
- Chillas sessions where individuals get to talk about issues they are facing on a daily basis: Every Fridays at 17h00 – 19h00 (Seniors and Young Adults)
- Jolly Good Times: Saturdays 12h00 – 14h00 (Juniors)
- Men’s Club: Every Thursdays at 14h30
- Workshops: Every last Saturday of the month (10h00 – 15h00)
- Orphanage: 24 hours centre
- Counselling: Face to face and anonymous counselling
SPORT AND FITNESS
- Fitness Club: gym that opens everyday from 5am till 10pm
- KETEX Soccer Team
The orphanage is called Leratong (Joy for One) and is at the centre of Alexandra. It houses 15 orphans and all are HIV positive aged between 5 – 16years old. Some of these kids have distant relatives and in most school holidays and long weekends, we try to send them to go and spend time with these relatives.
The role of the centre and kids is to ensure they live a positive life by educating them about the disease, counselling and caring for them. There are currently four fulltime staff members at the centre, the caretaker, a fulltime cook for the kids and the other two ladies alternate on a weekly basis staying and caring for the kids.
All the kids attend different schools according to their needs and donors for each. The model is that of finding a specific persons or board members to commit to educating a child for a minimum of a year.
Currently the centre has two sleeping rooms that are shared amongst the 15 kids, a kitchen, dining area, 1 toilet, 1 shower and a mini study area that needs to be renovated. Different challenges are faced each day ranging from kids getting sick, centre repairs, cash flow for basics like paying of staff, food shortages (due to the kids’ health statuses they need to eat a specific healthy diet) and transportation. There have been cases whereby kids get sick in the middle of the night and emergency transportation is a problem.
# # #
Pastor Xolani Hlitina
Cnr London and 12th Ave, Alexandra
083 33 17 350
More Info: http://www.ketexgroup.co.za
No of Images Uploaded: Two
To gain access to Two image/s please Like, Tweet or +1 this article:
Ketex Directors and volunteers Photographer: Ketex
Ketex and Standard Bank at the Ketex Home Photographer: Ketex