Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the number one TV manufacturer worldwide for the past 10 years, recently unveiled its spectacular new line-up of SUHD TVs, ushering in a new decade of global TV leadership.
Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs offer unparalleled picture quality with Quantum dot display, the world’s first bezel-less curved design. The TVs are beautiful from every angle and offer the smartest user experience, making it easy for consumers to access all their entertainment content in one place. In addition, the full 2016 SUHD TV lineup comes with IoT hub technology which allows the TV itself to control the entire smart home system.
“Our new SUHD TVs represent our singular focus on innovation that matters most to consumers, by providing the very best picture quality for the home,” said Matthew Thackrah, Deputy Managing Director and Head of Consumer Electronics at Samsung Electronics South Africa. “In 2016, we’re going beyond anything we’ve done before to offer a remarkable synergy of design, engineering and craftsmanship.”
Samsung SUHD TV with Quantum dot display: Unbeatable Picture Quality
Samsung’s 2016 SUHD TVs feature the world’s only cadmium-free, 10-bit Quantum dot display, offering remarkable true-to-life picture quality, with stunning brightness, exceptional contrast and the most lifelike colours ever offered by Samsung.
According to a recent consumer survey in the US*, the vast majority of consumers watches TV with light in the room (86 percent on a typical weekday, 85 percent on weekends) and only a small share say they watch in complete darkness (14 percent on weekdays and 15 percent on weekends). Samsung designed its new SUHD TVs to deliver the optimum viewing experience, regardless of the lighting environment.
This year, all of the Samsung SUHD TVs will feature the ability to provide a premium high dynamic range (HDR) experience, with 1,000 nit HDR minimum for a higher level of contrast between light and dark images. New Ultra Black technology also significantly reduces light reflection, further enhancing picture quality with minimal glare. Inspired by nature, Ultra Black absorbs natural light the same way that a moth’s eye enables it to see better at night.
360 design for Unparalleled Immersion
Four years after introducing the first Curved TVs to the world, Samsung has designed the world’s first bezel-less Curved TV, the KS9500 SUHD TV, providing a more immersive viewing experience.
With no border bezel, the viewer’s attention is focused purely on what matters most – captivating content on the screen. In keeping with this design ethos, Samsung has eliminated all unnecessary elements, even removing screws from the rear of the TV, to create an elegant product that is beautiful from every angle.
Unlimited, Seamless Entertainment through Single Access and Single Remote
Built on the Tizen operating system (OS), Samsung’s 2016 Smart TVs make it easier for consumers to discover and access all their favourite content and services, from TV and movies to games and programme information, all in one place.
- New Smart Hub – The 2016 Smart Hub is designed to provide users with simple access to their favourite content all in one place. Live TV, over the top (OTT), games and even the menu that appears on the home screen of the Samsung Smart TV*, allows users to access their favorite programmes as soon as they turn on the TV.
- Samsung Smart Control remote – The new Samsung Smart TV eliminates the need for multiple remote controls. The Samsung Smart TV will automatically recognise the type of set-top box, game console, OTT box or home theatre system that is connected to the TV. This allows users to control all of the external devices with the Smart Control remote – with no setup required.
- Console-less Gaming – Consumers can enjoy the most realistic gaming experience on a large screen without a console. More than 500 streaming and downloadable games will be available on 2016 Samsung Smart TVs. Recent additions for PlayStationTM now include Assassin’s Creed III, Batman: Arkham Origins, The LEGO Movie and many more.
- EXTRA Service – With a push of the EXTRA hot button on the Samsung Smart Control remote, information related to the content will appear onscreen instantly. Users can see player profiles and stats during sporting events, information on cast members of their favourite TV shows and more.
- Smart View – The Samsung Smart View mobile app allows users to share their favourite content instantly with their family. The upgraded Smart View supports Android and iOS devices, as well as Windows PCs. Popular apps and websites including AccuWeather, Crackle, iHeartRadio, M-GO, Plex, Pluto.TV, UFC, Vimeo, YuppTV and more are also Smart View enabled, so consumers can begin their entertainment experience within the apps and services they enjoy most.
- More access to content – Streaming UHD movies and TV shows from providers such as Amazon, M-GO and Netflix and accessing apps such as YouTube has gotten even easier. (UHD technologies developed by NeuLion will also enable a selection of sporting events to be streamed UHD live)*. Consumers can also connect Samsung’s new Ultra HD Blu-ray Player via HDMI (2.0a) for access to UHD movies with HDR, whilst direct access to live programming from providers such as Dish and Time Warner Cable is simplified.
TV Controls the Connected Home
All 2016 SUHD TVs feature IoT hub technology, developed by Samsung with SmartThings. The SUHD TV can connect with and control over 200 SmartThings compatible devices – whether it’s to see who is ringing the doorbell to locking the doors or turning off the lights – all from the TV.
The new feature further enhances the entertainment experience by allowing consumers to activate their Soundbar and surround system while watching TV.
Samsung’s First Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Samsung also unveiled its first Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, the UBD-K8500, which is HDR compatible and offers four times the resolution and 64 times the detailed colour expression of a conventional Blu-ray player. It features a sleek, curved front design and will be available in the US in March 2016.
When paired with Samsung SUHD TV’s Quantum dot display, the new UHD Blu-ray player delivers a level of picture quality never before seen in the home. The UBD-K8500’s built-in upscaling technology enhances the picture quality of standard Blu-ray discs and DVDs and also enables consumers to play CDs.
Samsung has partnered with Hollywood studios in order to ensure that consumers have a selection of Ultra HD Blu-rays with astonishing HDR picture quality. This year, 20th Fox is slated to release more than 100 4K Ultra HD discs with HDR, including films like The Martian, Peanuts and others.