With World Heart Day on 28 September and World Spine Day on 16 October, Vencasa is focusing on sleep health to show their support.
Sleep is not a luxury; it is one of the five most basic needs a human depends on to survive; the other four are oxygen, water, food, and shelter. Increasingly stressful lifestyles, continuous digital distractions, unhealthy eating habits and ever-changing, mostly unnatural environments all contribute to making it more difficult to obtain some of our most basic needs. It is more important than ever before to switch off from our over-stimulated world and sleep soundly.
Did you know that getting enough quality sleep at the right times can protect and even improve your mental health, physical health, quality of life? The way you feel while you’re awake depends in large part on what happens while you’re sleeping.
The World Leaders in Sleep, Vencasa, are cognisant of the upcoming World Heart Day on 28 September and World Spine Day on 16 October, and how sleep can play a role in these vital areas of health.
• Rest your weary heart;
o People who don’t sleep enough are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease regardless of age, weight, smoking and exercise habits.
o Irregular and problematic sleep patterns can aggravate or cause high blood pressure.
o Lack of sleep has been linked to weight gain and obesity which puts strain on the heart.
• Support your spine with quality sleep
o Your back and neck can be seriously helped or hindered by your pillow and mattress. A great deal of the body’s healing and rejuvenation is done while sleeping, therefore it is vital that your sleep solution aids this process.
o Experience a scientific approach to sleep, with Tempur, developed by NASA.
o An estimated one billion people worldwide suffer from back pain, and the key is in the prevention.
Create a Sleep Routine
• Check the health of your pillow, mattress and bed and replace if necessary.
• Create a sleep routine which begins two hours prior to sleep – remove screens, bright lights, avoid stimulants and take a bath, read and use mindfulness practises.
• Switch off gadgets and screens.
• Dim the lights or light candles.
• Have a short bath or shower to bring down the body temperature.
• Avoid stimulants several hours prior.
• Clear your mind and write down any thoughts that may cause sleeplessness.
• Use mindfulness practices that work for you – such as breathing or meditation or listening to soft soothing music.
Using these health awareness days as a reminder, be mindful of your individual health needs and concerns – consider sleep as a vital part of the solution!
Vencasa, The World Leaders in Sleep, know that your body, mind and soul deserve quality sleep, and provide a range of exceptional sleep solutions to ensure it.
Visit www.vencasa.co.za or call 0861 60 60 60 for more information or for your nearest stockist.