Two South African sailing teams completed a one-two finish at the recent Hobie 16 World Championships held in Jervis Bay, New South Wales, Australia sailed between 31 January and 10 February 2014.
William and Lucinda Edwards finished in first place and 4 points ahead of second placed Blaine and Roxanne Dodds also from Plettenberg Bay.
Both teams will be returning to Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth to sail in the Boardwalk Hobie 16 National Championships from 20 to 23 March 2014. The keen rivalry between these two champion teams is expected to continue as they finished the 2013 Hobie Nationals also in the same one-two placings.
Local sailor, Andrew Ward has been puting in time on the water and slimming down as he and his crew, Angela Ward look to improve their 3rd place in last year’s event.
Racing starts not before 11:00 am on Thursday 20 March and the Hobies will launch from Hobie Beach to sail offshore yet visible from the Shark Rock Pier and beachfront in front of The Boardwalk.
Racing will continue each day thereafter – weather dependent – until Sunday when the new champions will be crowned.
The Boardwalk Hobie 16 Nationals Regatta is organized by the Hobie 16 Class in conjunction with the Algoa Bay Yacht Club (ABYC) under the auspices of South African Sailing (SAS).
- Any media wishing to take advantage of being on the water can confirm daily with Paula Archibald on 0823736901 or report to the regatta office on Hobie Beach and ask for Paula who will organise a trip out for them.
- Alan Straton will be putting out a daily report with images.
- 2012 results: http://hobie16nationals.co.za/2012-boardwalk-hobie-16-results/#more-89
- 2013 results: http://hobie16nationals.co.za/category/2013/results-2013/
- The 505 Worlds practise regatta is taking place at the same time – on a different course – and will feature some World Champions ahead of the staging of the 505 World Championships in Algoa Bay in 2015.
The start line on the second day of sailing during the 2013 Boardwalk Hobie Nationals. Photo by: Alan Straton