Hint: Registering on MyPR and ensuring that you are logged in when submitting your press release will seamlessly place your releases under your Author Name. OR – Log in HERE. See our Guidelines OR watch the Video HERE.
- Answer the 5W’s and 1H: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How.
- Be objective (keep opinions and ‘flowery language’ out of the story).
- Get your facts right.
- Don’t plagiarise.
- Give credit where it is due.
- Cite references.
- Provide URL’s so that your readers can discover more.
- Rather be accurate than first.
- Start with the most important facts first and follow with supporting information.
- Don’t copy and paste your press release from word processing software – use notepad or other.
- See – Google’s Updated Link Schemes Policy and MyPR – for more info.
The press releases that gain the most attention adhere to the above guidelines, are entertaining and are NOT pure sales pitches.
NOTE: Any press releases that do not follow the above guidelines or have no bearing on South Africa, are thinly disguised adverts with no ‘meat’ are deleted – to date our rejection percentage is 2.86%.
NOTE: We are happy to do minor edits – please do not submit sloppily written, grossly grammatically incorrect drivel. If English is NOT your first language please get someone to rewrite your releases for you!
- Article Title: Keep it Short, Punchy and Relevant to your news
- Your Article: Please note the title here – Your ARTICLE – not your ADVERT. Articles must be newsy, informative or entertaining. If you post an article that is a thinly disguised ad it will be deleted. Not sure? Then contact us for advice.
- Website for more information on the above: When a decent journalist or editor decides to explore your article in more depth they will do some research and look for opinions, facts, quotes etc. By providing a DIRECT link to a RELEVANT page that will help journalists and editors to find out more you will be one step ahead of the game. This URL that you provide will be framed in the bottom of your press release on MyPR – helping journalists and editors save time.
- Category: Choose the category closest to your subject matter
- Geographical Focus: Select the geographical area / city that your article addresses the closest.
- How many Images are you uploading?: Images are automatically resized to a width of 700 pixels. Images larger than 500 kilobytes will be deleted. The optimum image size BEFORE upload will have a MAXIMUM width of 700 pixels and be less than 200 kilobytes in size. NB: Please provide photographer accreditation.
- Your Name: The person submitting the press release’s name – Yup that is YOU.
- Email: The person submitting the press release’s email.
- Your Company Name: The PR Firms name
- Your Company Website: The PR firms website URL
- Twitter: The Company or PR firms Twitter account
- Facebook Page: the company or PR firms Facebook page
- YouTube Video: If the company you are submitting the press release has a YouTube video RELEVANT to the press release you may place the YouTube share URL here. Use the SHARE link which you access on YouTube by clicking the SHARE tab underneath the video and it will look something like this: http://youtu.be/ujZp1TV2vww