(East London) – Prehistoric creatures will come alive – in visitors’ imaginations – when South Africa’s biggest animatronic dinosaur exhibition comes to Hemingways Mall for the first time on Saturday. The DinosAlive exhibition, which runs from September 23 to October 30, promises to be a family-friendly showcase of 25 animatronic dinosaurs including the familiar Tyrannosaurus Rex and Triceratops as well as lesser-known creatures such as the Spinosaurus and Ankylosaurus. Each of the models is able to move their limbs, blink and emit lifelike sounds. Hemingways Mall marketing manager Estee Roos said the centre was thrilled to welcome the national exhibition to the city. “DinosAlive is the biggest expo of its kind in South Africa. There have been some smaller, copycat players entering the market recently but this is the real deal, offering value-for-money family entertainment on a grand scale.” Roos said centre management had been hard at work preparing the basement parking area, which had the necessary double-volume height to accommodate the gigantic displays. “We are very excited about travelling with our dinosaurs to East London for the first time,” added Expo Africa director and event organiser Etienne Schlechter. “There is always excitement from the children when they see the ‘real life’ dinosaurs. They can really get up close and personal with the Apatosaurus and go for a ride on his back, or become any dinosaur they want to be at the face painting station. If it is realism that they are after, take them to the excavation sand pit where they can get their hands dirty digging up the ‘real’ bones of these ancient animals.” Schlechter said detailed information boards throughout the exhibition explained the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods in a fun and interactive way. He said new elements included dino tablet games and Timmy the baby dinosaur. “We try to make the experience just as fun for the adults as we do for the children, so we . . .
Billabong Junior Series Final Event presented by All Aboard Travel Seal Point, Cape St Francis – The final event of the Billabong Junior Series 2017 presented by All Aboard Travel will take place at Seal Point, Cape St Francis on the weekend Friday 29 Sept – Sunday 1 October. This year is the 20th year of this highly successful and nurturing Junior Series and the contest at Seal Point will actually clock in as the 59th individual event since the series started in 1997. This series – the longest running junior series in the world – has seen the likes of Jordy Smith and Bianca Buitendag emerge as Championship Tour surfers, and the latest graduate looks to be Mikey February from Cape Town. He is currently ranked fifth on the World Surf League’s World Qualifying Series rankings. This contest at Seal Point will be the fourth and final competition of the year, and the series champs will be crowned after the event has completed. Divisions that will be competing are: U12 Boys, U14 Boys and U14Girls, U16 Boys and U16Girls, U18 Jnr Men’s and U18 Jnr Women’s. All Aboard Travel presents the contest, and supporting sponsors are BOS, VonZipper and Zigzag Magazine. The Billabong Junior Series is sanctioned by Surfing South Africa, as well as the World Surf League. The exciting four part series commenced in Port Elizabeth, headed down to Cape Town as part of the BOS Cape Crown, moved on to event three that took place as part of the Ballito Pro, and will culminate in Seal Point with the fourth and final competition. There will also be the regular VZ Airshow, with R2k first prize, and the winner of the U18 Pro Junior Men as well as the winner of the U18 Pro Junior Women will be going to Bali courtesy of All Aboard Travel. The following week, 4 – 8 October, will see the Billabong SA Junior Championships take place at Lower Point in JBay. Last year Nelson Mandela Bay clinched the coveted Freedom Cup, and will be keen to reclaim the title at this year’s . . .
JOHANNESBURG, September 14, 2017: Ahead of National Recycling Day on September 15, the Paper Recycling Association of South Africa (PRASA) shares the story about Mary Phillips, an entrepreneur who saw value in paper waste and old telephone directories. Mary Phillips got involved in the recycling industry in September 2012, and after what has been a long and sometimes times difficult haul, she is beginning to see the fruits of her labour. It all began when she decided that she had had enough of the corporate world and chose to go into business on her own account. The avenue she selected was recycling and her product of choice was paper. “It’s a clean material and I could transport greater values by volume in my little car than if I went around collecting bottles and cans,” says Mary, who participated in the PRASA's entrepreneurship training course in August 2016. She has made things happen in the Eastern Cape and while she believes that her best days are still to come, her start-up business currently provides employment for three permanent staff members, pays 10 collectors on a regular basis and is a source of income for up to 18 casual workers, as and when required. Determined “Recycling is much more profitable in Johannesburg and Cape Town where collectors can earn several times more that our people in the region; on the other hand, it does provide them with some form of income. “Another problem is that local financial institutions see recycling as a high-risk business which makes it difficult to finance the purchase of vehicles and specialised equipment necessary to make our business grow.” Less determined people than Mary might have given up long ago but she persevered, investigating business opportunities in and out of her home province. An association with Trudon Publishing, which produces the Yellow Pages, has resulted in the staging a highly successful school competition in the Eastern and Western Cape which sees learners collect and return . . .
Nelson Mandela Bay residents are in for a treat with an all-star line-up at the inaugural Cape Recife Music Festival, taking place in Nelson Mandela Bay on the 23rd of September. The festival, in partnership with the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, forms part of the annual gathering of South Africa's single-fin longboard surfers at the Cobbles Classic, now in its fifth year. Top artists including Matthew Mole, Desmond and the Tutu's, Farryl Purkiss, Charlie Finch, Too Many Chiefs, ZA'frotronixx and The Brothers will be performing live at the festival, taking place within the pristine Cape Recife Nature Reserve. “The Cape Recife Music Festival has been introduced as part of the natural growth of the Cobbles Classic, and promises to be a fun filled day out for the whole family,” said event organiser, Danie Brink. “The festival is designed as a family-friendly experience, catering for everyone. We have live music, food trucks, craft stalls and a kids’ play zone for children between the ages of two and 12,” said Brink. Brink said festival goers could look forward to a wide variety of gourmet food from the various food trucks, which have gained popularity in Nelson Mandela Bay over the past few years. Brink said the idea for the festival had grown out of the success of the Cobbles Classic, which celebrated 60’s style single fin longboard surfing, and the laid-back logging lifestyle that went with it. “The Classic has been hosted at Cobbles Point since 2013 and has been growing every year, and through the festival we are able to make the event more inclusive and accessible to everyone,” he said. Brink said festival goers were encouraged to bring their sunscreen, sunglasses and caps as well as picnic blankets to sit on in front of the main stage. He said no food or drink would be allowed to be brought into the festival grounds. “There will be plenty of food and beverages available, as well as ablution facilities,” he said. Tickets are . . .
FOR 25 years, the Caltex Sole Destroyer half-marathon has tested the endurance and stamina of Border athletes on the “tough but scenic” 21km route through East London’s Horseshoe Valley – and it’s all systems go for this year’s challenge this Sunday (17 September 2017). Hosted by Oxford Striders, the race is named for legendary East London runner Chris Sole and traverses his favourite tracks from his days as a champion schoolboy runner, over the half-marathon route as well as the 9km Sole Teaser. Dillion Pretorius, heading the Sole Destroyer Organising Committee said that arrangements for Sunday’s race are going smoothly and that they are confident that the race is going to be a huge success. “This year we created an online registration portal to make the registration process as accessible as possible and by close of business on Tuesday last week close to four hundred (400) entries was recorded” Pretorius noted. “More than seven hundred (700) runners participated in the 21km half marathon last year and we are confident that the 2017 race will attract even larger numbers” Pretorius added Oxford Striders chairman Dillon Pretorius said the race slogan “Don’t Let it Break You” summed up the challenge, with the first half run on dirt roads, with several challenging hill climbs and descents leading to the aptly-named Heart Break Hill at 7.5km into the race. “At 12.5km athletes are confronted with a leg jarring descent followed by a relatively flat and fast section through East London’s suburbs until at 18.5km they reach the final sting in the tail, the climb up Willasdale Drive,” Pretorius said. Pretorius noted that the race’s naming sponsor, Caltex Eastern Cape Marketer (CECM), has been involved in the event for the past 11 years, contributing to its growth from a small race to “a premier event, and an annual highlight on the East London running calendar”. He said the Caltex sponsorship had enabled the organisers to invest in a top-quality timing . . .
The annual Engen KlevaKidz has kicked off in the Eastern Cape with its unique brand of industrial theatre set to engage and educate learners across South Africa about the importance of paraffin safety. Engen KlevaKidz opened at Gugulethu Senior Primary School in Ngqamakhwe on September 13th visiting 30 school in the area until the end of September. Engen are South Africa’s leading supplier of paraffin, through the Laurel Paraffin brand. Engen KlevaKidz takes the form of an interactive educational stage drama relaying key safety messages – in the learners’ mother tongues - combined with a jingle to reinforce the theme. Since its inception in 2008, Engen KlevaKidz has reached over 145 000 learners in 436 schools across South Africa – from rural villages deep in Limpopo and the Eastern Cape to townships in Gauteng. In partnership with The Communication Firm, the travelling industrial theatre show features engaging characters who deliver important safety messages. In this year’s show, Mr Wise is the super hero and main character who educates young learners about how to identify and use paraffin safely. Mr Wise interacts with Bongi and Junior and urges them to be careful when using paraffin. Stories are used to explain to the learners what to do if paraffin is ingested or inhaled. Mr Wise also focuses on the importance of being clean and washing hands after being in contact with paraffin, and how to store paraffin safely. Prizes, including super hero masks and funnels, will be handed out to all learners. This is because the learners are all heroes who have the inner strength and ability to take care of themselves, says Engen Corporate Social Investment Manager, Mntu Nduvane. “Young children in under-resourced households are often the primary day-time care givers, often looking after their siblings while their parents or guardians are at work. “Without supervision, and uninformed of the multiple dangers associated with using paraffin, children . . .
An exciting initiative started in 2008 in the Western Cape, known as the Western Cape Fine Food Initiative (WCFFI). The organization was launched in response to the need for creating orderly marketing of processed food products and capability development for industry sustainability in the region. The R1.5bn Halaal Industrial Park project in the Western Cape is the brainchild of WCFFI with a recently concluded 10 month feasibility study that has been lauded by all as the blueprint for future Halaal parks in South Africa . As part of its national expansion, WCFFI changed its name to FOOD South Africa (Food SA) and recently expanded its footprint into the Eastern Cape, culminating in the inaugural meeting of FOOD SA Eastern Cape NPC (FOOD SA EC) that was held in Port Elizabeth on 15 August 2017. The board was constituted by appointing 7 board members and 4 sub-committees were formed. The Senior Economist and Economic Development specialist, Derek Zimmerman, was appointed as Chief Executive Officer of FOOD SA EC. The next day, 16 August 2017, a meeting was held with the Eastern Cape Development Corporation (ECDC), the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) and the COEGA Development Corporation (CDC), to propose co-operation and funding on projects that were identified by FOOD SA EC for 2018. FOOD SA projects impact the entire agro-processing value chain including primary production, value-add, post-harvest, supply chain and market access. Across South Africa, they represent 762 small to medium-sized food producing members in 7 provinces, with operating offices in 3 to cover the northern, central and coastal regions of South Africa. It is aggressively expanding with current staff and board members having a combined 127 years’ experience in agriculture, agro-processing, development finance and export development. Key projects they currently undertake include the following: Consolidation Warehousing for local & international supply: FOOD SA has . . .
Eastern Cape, 5 September, 2017: The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL) would like to notify travellers that controlled blasting is scheduled to take place between Dutywa and Mthatha on Saturday, 9 September and Sunday, 10 September 2017, weather permitting. The road will be closed from 5am on Saturday, 9 September until 7pm on Sunday, 10 September. All travellers are strongly advised to use alternative routes via Nqobo. Light vehicles and local residents can use the temporary bypass at Candu and Sitebe Komkulu. No heavy goods vehicles will be able to use these bypasses and will have to use alternative routes. The N2 will be closed between Candu at approximately 24KM from Dutywa when travelling towards Mthatha, and Sitebe Komkulu at approximately 41KM from Dutywa when travelling toward Mthatha for the entire period. The planned road closure is precautionary to undertake two scheduled control blasts which have a considerable risk of significant volumes of loose material shifting onto the road due to the blast proximity to the road. The estimated time to remove the loose material cannot be undertaken within the maximum permissible time allowed for a weekday road closure. As traffic volumes are considerably lower over weekends, it is proposed to undertake the blast during this period to reduce the impact on the travelling public. The planned closure is weather permitting and a final notice will be issued closer to the scheduled blast. "Motorists are asked to plan their trips accordingly, consider alternative routes and to use caution when making use of the road," said Mbulelo Peterson, SANRAL Southern Region's Manager. SANRAL apologises for any inconvenience caused. CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za. . . .
One happy family is how SUPERSPAR Nick's Foods general manager Shannon Lennox sees his relationship with the East London shop after they were named SUPERSPAR of the year in the Eastern Cape recently. Lennox's operation received the award for the second time after also taking the top prize in 2012. Following the SPAR Eastern Cape awards function at Mpekweni near Port Alfred, the retail supremo wasted little time in praising the input of his whole staff as he reflected on their success. "These types of awards are always easier to achieve when you have an amazing family, management and staffing structure to work off," said Lennox. "When you can combine all three of these areas it is always great to get out of bed and come to work knowing that every one of your 230 staff members is part of one big family." He described their achievement as an honour as not many stores received the chance to win the award. "It's not an easy accomplishment against some of the top retailers in the Eastern Cape, but you always hope and wish for the best." Lennox said winning was not part of their agenda and their modus operandi was focused only on providing the best service they could. "We just try to do our utmost to give my customers the best upmarket and cleanest store in the area with the best prices in town." He added, however, that they had undergone a massive revamp to stay ahead in a highly competitive market. "We are in an area with many stores in opposition to us so we always strive to comply with the quality requirements, while ensuring that cleanliness and happiness are top of the list." Lennox said this award meant a lot to him as a retailer, as well as to his staff because it provided a strong incentive to maintain a high standard. "It gives our staff a feeling of being number one and instils pride in them. They know they can do anything they set their minds to." CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za. . . .
Port Elizabeth, 30 August, 2017: The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL) would like to notify travellers that controlled blasting is scheduled to take place today, Wednesday, 30 August 2017, between 2pm and 5pm, on the N2 between Grahamstown and Peddie. The blast will take place on the N2 section 13 between KM 88 and KM 91 (road markers), approximately 37 km east of Grahamstown. The road will be closed for approximately one hour. Blasting will take place weather permitting. “Motorists are asked to plan their trips accordingly, consider alternative routes and to use caution when making use of the road,” said Mbulelo Peterson, SANRAL Southern Region’s Manager. SANRAL apologises for any inconvenience caused. CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za. . . .