Action and fun down at Willard beach for day two of the Billabong Junior Series in Ballito Durban. CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za. More Info on Billabong Junior Series Ballito - Images From Day Two Of Competition. here: http://www.surfingsouthafrica.co.za . . .
Willard Beach, Ballito, 29 June 2017: Many of the country’s top ranked junior surfers tumbled out of contention on Day 2 of the Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard Travel as the inconsistent, peaky head-high waves at Willard Beach in Ballito played havoc with their heat strategies, leading to major upsets. A total of six of the top eight WSL Africa ranked junior men were eliminated from the event on Wednesday while only one of the top 10 junior women has reached the last four. Both the defending event champions, Adin Masencamp (Strand) and Zoe McDougall (HAW), slipped through to the final day of competition after finishing second in their respective quarterfinal heats today. And they face the same opponents who relegated them to runner-up berths in the one-on-one format for the semi-finals. Masencamp produced a great comeback to grab second spot from Luke Malherbe (East London) with a ride that connected all the way to the beach in the dying seconds of their heat. He will be up against red hot Brazilian Samuel Pupo who has posted the highest scores in the event so far with his huge range of high risk aerial manoeuvres. The other junior men’s semi will see current No 8 ranked Angelo Faulkner (Jeffreys Bay) get the chance to force his way into contention for a spot in the four man squad to represent the Africa region at the World Surf League (WSL) World Junior Championships in Australia in January if he can get past former SA U16 champion Ethan Fletcher. Fletcher eliminated rankings leader and fellow Kommetjie resident Jake Elkington to earn a place in the semis for the first time this year. “This break can be difficult and the tide was quite high so there weren’t a lot of waves coming though. I made one or two mistakes and didn’t get the waves I needed but I’ve learnt from what happened in that heat and will work on making sure it doesn’t happen again,” Elkington explained. “After three wins I’ll still stay at the top of the rankings . . .
The NMMU-Madibaz karate squad will be protecting a proud record when they take on their student rivals in the University Sport South Africa tournament in Pretoria from Friday. After finishing as the champions from 2010 to 2015, Madibaz were the runners-up last year and martial arts manager Bernard Petersen said they would definitely be looking for a place at the top again. "We have done considerably well over the last seven years, but we know the competition will be extremely tough this time," he said of the tournament to be hosted by Tshwane University of Technology from Friday to Sunday. "We have a number of new karatekas in our squad and we are aiming at least for a top-three berth." Even with a degree of inexperience in their squad, Petersen said the reputation they had built up over the last decade would stand them in good stead in their objective to make another big impact on the week. While acknowledging that the varsity exams provided a challenge to their preparations, he said the squad had been practising diligently to make sure they were in top shape for the event. "Sensei Lucky Maxama, who is one of the top karatekas at NMMU, has worked very hard to prepare the students," he said. "It will be his first year as a coach, after previously being a student, and he and the squad are looking forward to the challenge. Currently they are in a camp fine-tuning their preparations." Petersen said they would be sending 15 full contact karatekas and three semi-contact exponents to the tournament. "We are trying to promote semi-contact on the campus. The difficulty is that there are so many styles in semi-contact, so it does pose a challenge." He added that with full contact there was only one style and the Madibaz teams had excelled in that discipline over the years. Petersen identified Eastern Cape neighbours Walter Sisulu and Fort Hare as teams who would be among their strongest challengers, while he pinpointed several Madibaz stars . . .
In Africa, banking the unbanked remains a pressing need. Roughly 700 million people in Africa are financially excluded – denied economic citizenship. Discussions on the issue beg the same question, time and again: why aren’t traditional banks offering mobile solutions to potential customers who desperately need it? The American Bankers Association claims it costs between $150 USD and $250 USD to open an individual bank account through tradition channels. Over more than a decade, around the world, it’s been proven that alternative, disruptive technology such as mobile and branchless banking can reduce this cost dramatically, to less than 10% of the original amount. While remaining compliant with local regulations. Between 2011 and 2014, banks opened over 700 million accounts for the previously unbanked – which goes largely unrecognised – yet so much more can and should be done. Playing to problem-solve It may be pertinent to look beyond service offerings from banks to another obstacle thwarting the growth of mobile banking in Africa: the exorbitant price of data. Handsets are status symbols at the lower end of the market. People naturally migrate and upgrade from a feature phone to a smartphone as soon as they’re financially able. Without access to data, the functionality of these smartphones is rendered useless. This brings to light the futility of banks in offering mobile banking via application-based platforms. Without Wi-Fi or data, the functionality is inaccessible. And you don’t have to be an expert in topography or technology to know vast parts of the African continent remain unconnected. The areas that do offer connections often come hand-in-hand with sky-high data prices and are typically reserved for the urban areas – not rural areas or the locations of the mass unbanked. The view of some that USSD is dead may well be misplaced in light of these considerations. As a FinTech and financial service innovator, WIZZIT International is . . .
Vibescout, an innovative start-up that provides event listings and city guides, is now listing movies showing on 690 screens in 94 cinemas across South Africa. Vibescout is now officially the largest movie aggregator in South Africa and continues to take the country’s entertainment scene to new heights. Cape Town, South Africa, July 5, 2017 – Co-founded in 2015 by brothers’ Paul and Jonathan Myburgh, Vibescout’s vision is to provide an easy-to-use platform used to smartly curate the best things to do near you. This is done through event listings, comprehensive go-to guides and now, movie listings. The idea behind Vibescout was first born when Paul was travelling in Saigon, Vietnam in January 2014. After visiting all the regular tourist destinations, he scoured the hostel notice boards for more unique things to do and began to wonder how he could get better insight into truly local events and activities. After realizing there was definitely a void that needed to be filled in this space, Paul brought the idea back home to South Africa later that year and soon began work on Vibescout’s first version. Vibescout officially launched out of beta and started providing event listing in October 2016; by April 2017 they reached over 100 000 users for the month! As of 27 June 2017, Vibescout became the largest movie aggregator in South Africa, listing movies showing on 688 screens in 94 cinemas throughout the country. “It took roughly 6 weeks to get a MVP release and from it we have had amazing user feedback. We are currently getting nearly 10 000 users weekly using our movie section to find the latest movies and locate cinemas around them. We didn't realize it at the time and such a goal wasn't even on our radar, but we are now officially the largest movie aggregator in South Africa.” JONATHAN MYBURGH, CO-FOUNDER OF VIBESCOUT Connect with or contact with us: Jonathan Myburgh - . . .
The current economic outlook is set to have an impact on the bottom line, business and morale, but robust payroll auditing and management processes can curtail risk and support growth. Even in a recession. There are specific steps that can be put in place to mitigate risk and enhance payroll effectiveness, ensuring that finances are tightly controlled and that the organisation is prepared for what the recession has in store – spread the payroll load, use the insight from payroll data, and clearly document processes. “The most common risk area in payroll departments is having one person responsible for the calculation of payroll values, reconciliation and payment,” says Cathie Webb, director, South African Payroll Association. “In a recession, when people feel their jobs and income are at risk, there is a temptation to help themselves to a little bit on the side.” Webb points out that on a psychological level, incremental thefts are often not perceived as a crime. People think that the tiny sums won’t hurt the business. However, this is not true. Every cent removed illegitimately from a business has an effect on every person working there. Reducing the risk “The easiest thing to do to reduce risk is to ensure that the different areas of the payroll cycle are the responsibility of another person,” says Webb. There must always be a high-level view over every aspect of payroll. In a large organisation, it is fairly easy to ensure that the payroll audit is managed by different people, but in a smaller business this may not always be possible. In this instance, there needs to be another person who does sign off and checking before payments are made. “Payroll also plays a supportive role in tough economic times,” says Webb. “Strong payroll administrators should be looking for areas where they can add value and strategic input. For instance, in a multi-departmental branch or organisation, they can assess things like leave patterns and even identify . . .
Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard - Images From Day One Of Competition Ballito, Durban. 28 June 2017, Willard Beach - Some more incredible images of day one of the Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard Travel. All images ©Ryan Janssens CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za. More Info on Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard - Images From Day One Of Competition here: http://www.surfingsouthafrica.co.za . . .
Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard Travel- Top Seeds Dominate Opening Round Contenders Fight Back with Upsets in Round 2 The top seeds dominated the opening round of the Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard Travel at Willard Beach in Ballito on Tuesday, racking up great scores in the punchy, early morning beach break conditions. But the contenders fought back as the onshore wind and an incoming tide brought an element of luck to wave selection resulting in several of favourites for the titles being eliminated from the World Surf League (WSL) JQS1,000 men’s and women’s events. WSL Africa junior men’s rankings leader Jake Elkington (Kommetjie) maintained his challenge for a fourth title this year by winning both his encounters, combining excellent manoeuvres with savvy wave choices to advance to the last eight and another keeper result in the chase for the coveted Billabong Junior Series U18 men’s title. Defending event champion Adin Masencamp (Strand) is also through to the semifinals after back-to-back heat wins. The current rankings No. 2 will come up against Brazilian whizz-kid Samuel Pupo who was the day’s standout performer. Hailing from Maresias, a beach town between Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro that is not unlike Ballito, Pupo displayed all his aerial skills in his opening clash, flying high above the lip to record scores of 8.33 and 9.33 for the highest heat total of the day, 17,66 out of 20. Others to safely negotiate their way through two rounds included brothers Joshe and Angelo Faulkner (Jeffreys Bay), Ethan Fletcher (Kommetjie) and East London’s Bryce du Preez and Luke Malherbe Defending junior women’s champ Zoe McDougall (HAW) was on fire in her first heat, seamlessly linking powerful turns together as she charged to the highest scores of the JQS1,000 women’s event. McDougall then had to dig deep to hang on to second place in Round 2, finishing behind local standout Sophie Bell (Salt Rock) who made . . .
Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard Travel Opens the Ballito Pro Surf Festival The Billabong Junior Series presented by All Aboard Travel, the third of four surfing events that will crown champions in seven age divisions for boys and girls for the 20th successive year, heralds the start of the 13-day Ballito Pro Surf Festival on Tuesday. The world’s longest running junior surfing series has nurtured the competitive careers of countless local surfers including current world No. 3 Jordy Smith and former WSL Championship Tour (CT) campaigners Bianca Buitendag, Travis Logie and Rosy Hodge along with current QS standouts Beyrick de Vries, Michael February and Matt McGillivray. Scheduled for Tuesday to Thursday, 27 to 29 June, at Willard Beach in Ballito, the junior event features the cream of country’s surfers aged 18-and-under along with a contingent of international competitors who have posted impressive results both in South African waters and in their home countries. Points earned in the Under 18 JQS1,000 events for men and women count towards the annual WSL Africa titles and the selection of four men and two women to represent the region at the WSL World Junior Championships in Australia in January. The 3A rated Surfing South Africa (SSA) events for U16, U14 and U12 boys and girls count towards the 2017 South African Surf Tour (SAST) 2017 titles. All the events offer prize money with the points earned over the four events determining the prestigious Billabong Junior Series champions. Jake Elkington (Kommetjie) heads the seeding for the JQS1,000 men’s event after a stellar 2017 season in which he has reached the final in five of six events, winning three. But 2016 series champion and defending Ballito winner Adin Masencamp (Strand) will be determined to improve on his second place in the rankings at this event. And both face tough challengers in the form of the Faulkner brothers – Joshe and Angelo – from Jeffreys Bay and Cody Young who . . .
New treatment for severely enlarged prostate achieving excellent outcomes in SA While many older men suffer from symptoms due to enlarged prostate, or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), as it is known in medical terms, they often simply keep quiet and continue living with the uncomfortable symptoms associated with this condition. “During Men’s Health Month in June we are likely to hear a great deal about male medical conditions such as prostate cancer, but few South Africans are aware of BPH although it is common among men,” points out urologist Dr Steven Cornish, who is part of a team offering a new treatment for BPH called prostate artery embolisation treatment at Netcare Sunninghill Hospital in Johannesburg. “In addition, many of the men who suffer debilitating symptoms from BPH are not aware that highly effective new treatment options for this condition have become available in South Africa.” Warrants greater attention “The focus on medical conditions such as prostate cancer is perhaps understandable given the fact that, unlike prostate cancer, BPH is rarely life threatening,” notes Dr Cornish. “Nevertheless, it is the most common non-cancerous prostate medical condition to develop in men by the time they reach their 60s, and it has been estimated that half of all men older than 60 years of age are likely to have at least some BPH symptoms. “Thousands upon thousands of older men’s quality of life is negatively impacted, sometimes quite severely, by this condition and as such, it warrants much greater attention than it currently receives,” observes Dr Cornish. Dr Cornish says that symptoms of BPH may include trouble urinating, and/or a frequent and urgent need to urinate, particularly at night (nocturia); interrupted and weak urinary stream; urine leakage and sometimes sexual dysfunction. Robert Pieters*, a 66-year-old man from Johannesburg, describes what it’s like living with BPH: ”I first noticed symptoms early in 2012 and these . . .